Welcome to Wodensborough Ormiston Academy. I am immensely proud to have taken up the post of Principal in January 2016.
As a result of the hard work, dedication and commitment of students and staff, we have achieved much over the past 3 years and can show an improving trend across all key performance measures.
- Full and oversubscribed in our current Year 7 and with only a handful of places left in Years 8 and 9 (we are expecting to exceed PAN with our new-intake Year 7 in Sep 2019).
- Our attendance has increased at a faster rate than other schools nationally (up 4.6%).
- A 3 year trend of improved outcomes for pupils! Our summer 2018 exam results improved in all areas (including for Disadvantaged students) seeing us achieve 6 OAT Gold Awards in the ‘Most Improved’ categories and we have leapt up the local league tables to no. 9 in Sandwell (our Progress 8 score has increased by 3/4 of a grade which is a significant improvement).
- In October 2016, Ofsted removed the school from Special Measures and recognised our “high profile” and “effective” approach to safeguarding and the “robust and timely action” we take to “tackle bullying” and “to keep pupils safe.”
We are a school on a journey and I look forward to leading our students, staff and stakeholders on to the next exciting stage in our development – I will not rest until WOA becomes the school of choice for young people in our local community.
Education is, I believe, the key to opportunity. I have the very highest expectations of, and for, all and am uncompromising in my view that the students must be at the very heart of all we do. My vision – Believe, Achieve, Succeed – is more than just a phrase. It is a systematic approach to raising aspirations and standards which is underpinned by my unwavering commitment to improving the life chances of young people in Sandwell. I thank our local community for their unwavering support over the past 3 years and sincerely look forward to further engaging with parents, local schools, employers and community groups to continue to provide our students with the support, skills and experience they need to have a successful future.
At WOA, our Core Values are living, breathing principles which are reflected in our everyday work. These values are very much akin to my own ethos and belief that every child can achieve their potential through an inclusive education and that school has a moral responsibility to nurture and shape the individual.
- Being ready to learn
- Working together with mutual respect
- Caring for each other and our environment
- Living a safe and healthy lifestyle
- Striving for a successful future
We aim to embed a culture where we work together, create opportunities and raise aspirations and achievement for all.
We have an open door policy within the school, with a calendar of events which will provide you with an opportunity to see for yourselves what makes Wodensborough so special.
We actively encourage our families and our local community to come in to school and to meet with the team and myself.
We all have an important part to play in raising standards with us – come and join us on the journey!