Staying safe onlineWith the increased use of ICT as everyone is working from home, it’s especially important for parents and carers to be aware of what their children are being asked to do and what they are accessing online. We would like to promote the importance of a safe online environment and encourage our parents and carers to set age-appropriate parental controls on digital devices and use internet filters to block malicious websites. These are usually free, but often need to be turned on.
We are going to release our Safer Schools App for Parents at the end of this week. This is an all in one resource that you can have on your phone that will give you advice and guidance on all things related to E-Safety as well as keep up to date with school notifications. In the meantime, please use these resources to support keeping your children safe online:
- Thinkuknow provides advice from the National Crime Agency (NCA) on staying safe online
- Parent info is a collaboration between Parentzone and the NCA providing support and guidance for parents from leading experts and organisations
- Childnet offers a toolkit to support parents and carers of children of any age to start discussions about their online life, to set boundaries around online behaviour and technology use, and to find out where to get more help and support
- Internet matters provides age-specific online safety checklists, guides on how to set parental controls on a range of devices, and a host of practical tips to help children get the most out of their digital world
- London Grid for Learning has support for parents and carers to keep their children safe online, including tips to keep primary aged children safe online
- Net-aware has support for parents and carers from the NSPCC, including a guide to social networks, apps and games
- Let’s Talk About It has advice for parents and carers to keep children safe from online radicalisation
- UK Safer Internet Centre has tips, advice, guides and other resources to help keep children safe online, including parental controls offered by home internet providers and safety tools on social networks and other online services
We have a page on our website dedicated to this topic and you can access it by clicking here.
Tomorrow we will post advice on of harmful content, abuse or bullying online.